If the screen of your beloved iPhone 6 has suffered some kind of physical damage and your screen has been cracked beyond recognition, then you shouldn’t waste time replacing it. But there are certain things that need to be kept in mind when doing that.
If you have already bought ‘Apple Care’, the DIY option is not for you. Making any move for the automatic screen replacement will void the terms of the agreement and you will not be able to take advantage of ‘Apple Care’ benefits. However, it does not matter if your iPhone 6 is still under warranty or not because the warranty does not cover any type of physical or water damage.
Taking these factors into account will help you decide whether or not to proceed. Make sure you have purchased a genuine Apple iPhone 6 screen and replacement tools for the job. Here are some simple DIY steps to guide you towards iPhone 6 screen replacement.
• Start the process by removing the lower screws with a pentalobe screwdriver. Removing these screws loosens the screen.
• To remove the broken screen, you can use an iSlack device which is a suction cup designed for this purpose. However, the screen should be removed halfway with the iSlack and the rest should be removed only after disconnecting the various cables and connectors.
• Remove the connector board from the PCB and the connector wires. The process continues with the removal of the earpiece, camera, proximity sensor, light sensor, and microphone flex assembly.
• When removing such assemblies and connectors, you should be careful as most of them are attached with adhesive and applying too much force can damage components.
• Focus on removing the home button assembly and the home button itself. The button is fixed with an adhesive to the flex assembly that fits on the screen and must be removed carefully to avoid any type of damage.
• After carefully removing all those parts, you will find the LCD screen back plate which is attached with 7 Phillip screws.
When you have removed the backplate from the old LCD screen, you can install the new screen and carefully place all the components in the exact order they were removed. It will be better if you write down the whole process in a sequence so that when you reinstall all the components you can refer to the notes and avoid errors.
For help or guidance, you can also watch a couple of videos online to get a better idea of what to do when you replace the iPhone screen parts. It is a fairly simple process but you will have to be careful throughout the process. It is recommended to do it in a single uninterrupted session.